8.9.10

the apple tree yard

we did it! we took a family walk down to the apple tree yard yesterday. we knocked on the door and introduced ourselves and asked to pick their apples (actually, Joshua was the one who asked - - one of the best kinds of brave and manly, I think!)
"Yes, yes!" our neighbor told us "take the apples!"

and so we did.
I have a huge pile of apples sitting in my kitchen now, and I'm thinking I really should make up a pie or a crisp. does anyone have a recipe that I really must try?



2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you are able to can at all or have access to canning supplies. However, if you're able to, this apple pie filling recipe is SO EASY and absolutely delicious. It doesn't take long and makes 7 quarts that are wonderful to pull out when guests are coming and you want a quick crisp or pie.

    Apple Pie Filling
    Makes enough filling for 7 quarts of pie filling.
    Mix together: 4 ½ cups sugar, 1 cup cornstarch, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional). Wisk together before adding water to prevent lumps.
    Add: 10 cups water
    Cook until thick and bubbly while stirring occasionally.
    Peel, core and slice about 32 apples. Pack raw apples in jars and pour syrup over. Fill to w/in ½ inch of rim.
    Cooking Time: 5 lbs at 10 minutes add 1 lb pressure for each 1,000 feet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan! you are so quick! THANKS for this; I will tuck it away and use it!

    ReplyDelete